Plan B Media Public Company Limited has a strong intention to conduct business based on economic, social and environmental responsibility. The Company realizes the importance of its responsibility for environmental issues resulted from its business operations, products and services. Therefore, the Company issued a policy to promote production development and innovation creation in order to alleviate potential issues together with proper sustainability strategies and operating plans.
To drive operating strategies, the Company has selected topics that enhance sustainable development of the organization and mutually set sustainable development goals of the Company according to sustainable development objectives in line with international standards. Moreover, the Company voluntarily participated in sustainability standards with the purpose to support continuous development in accordance with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) under the United Nations Global Compact.
The Company recognizes that higher competitiveness and more business opportunities can be attained through environmental efforts reflected in environmental cost management. Consequently, the Company announced its environmental management policy that is also applicable for its subsidiaries and communicated with related parties to encourage participation and engagement of executives, employees at all levels, counterparties and relevant stakeholders with the objective to ensure good practice across the organization’s value chain.
Note that the Company incorporated sustainable development policy and plans as a part of its operating plans. Strategies were formulated at organization level to be in alignment with 7 sustainable development goals out of a total of 17 goals (based on Table of Sustainable Development Goals), its capacity and potential so that the Company moves toward sustainable development across its value chain.
2022 goals for environmental management
- Managed efficient electricity consumption, including the utilization of electricity and air-conditioning systems in the common areas that the Company can directly monitor and control. The company set a target to reduce 5% of energy consumption in 2022 compared with the 2020 base year, through several measures to reduce consumption and enhance efficiency.
- To replace 100% of lighting systems of advertising billboards to save energy by 2022, from fluorescent to LED bulbs that are mercury-free as well as reduce Co2 emission of 44kg/bulb/year or equivalent to 78%.
- To cut water consumption in cleaning buses by changing cleaning approach such as change of water taps, change of washing approach to starting from top to bottom, and regular check on related appliances to ensure that water is not wasted.
Long-term environmental management goals
- Continuous efficiency enhancement for electricity consumption is to be ensured. The company set to reduce energy consumption per area by 20% within 2031 compared to the 2020 base year.
- The Company manages its resources to optimize the production of advertising materials by reusing stickers, leftover vinyl and vinyl with expired customer contracts to design valuable items such as vinyl bags to increase benefit of 10% per year.
Intensifying global warming and climate change are considered one of the key urgencies that requires all parties to join forces in reducing emissions of greenhouse gases according to the Paris Agreement. The company has shown its commitment to controlling the average global temperature. In the past, the company has recorded and kept statistics that are useful for managing and determining measures to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the long term.
Greenhouse gas emissions statistics
Greenhouse gas emissions of Operation Team in 2020 and 2021 are as follows:
- In 2020, the amount of greenhouse gas emissions is approximately 17,664,624 KgCO2e.
- In 2021, the amount of greenhouse gas emissions is approximately 15,324,660 KgCO2e.
In 2021, the company's greenhouse gas emissions decreased by 13% as a result of the greenhouse gas emission reduction plan as follows:
- The company managed to change display areas of about 9,685 square meters across Thailand using an advanced technology that could save over 60% of electricity consumption and lead to over 59,184 KgCO2e less greenhouse gas emissions to the previous type of displays.
- Lamps were switched from metal halide lamps to LED lamps for over 4,480 lamps nationwide, resulting in 50% saving in electricity charges and reducing greenhouse gas emissions of over 6,264 KgCo2e.
- Replacing old fluorescent bulbs with 800 new LED bulbs also cut electricity charges by over 60% and reduced greenhouse gas emissions of over 1,872 KgCO2e.
2022 goals for climate change management
- To reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 5-10% within 2022 compared to 2021 as the base year through improvements to the company's advertising screens, including the replacement of LED lamps and LED light bulbs.
Long-term climate change management goals
- According to the Paris Agreement, climate change, global warming, and extreme weather variability are urgent issues that all parties must collaborate on to cut greenhouse gas emissions. Accordingly, the Company expressed its commitment to temperature control by setting a target of greenhouse gas emission reduction from its operations to be at 5-10% within 2031 compared with the 2020 base year.
Climate change impacts volume of water in natural water sources of each area which can lead to risk of insufficient water to meet the demand of various units. Hence, the Company has set a water management plan to improve water usage efficiency.
2022 goals for water management
- To reduce 5-10% of water usage from operations by 2021 compared to 2018.
Long-term water management goals
- Reduce water consumption by 10% in 2031 compared to 2020 base for environmental sustainability and reducing the long-term risks of insufficient water supply.
- Improve efficiency in water usage in all processes that consume water.
- Reuse treated wastewater for operations.
- Controlling the amount of water in washing the car by using a faucet with a switch and checking the readiness of the washing equipment to avoid wasting water.
22% decrease in water usage compared to normal case of 2018 base year.
60% increase in water usage from operations compared to normal case of 2018 base year as a result of the following:
- Number of outsourced employees for car wash was lower than the previous year which led to not only lower efficiency and speed in washing but also higher volume of water used.
- Given that there was increasing construction activities along the routes to the garage, more dirt was found on advertising media. Congestion at the washing garage the Company used for the services also resulted in lower washing efficiency and higher water consumption to remove dirtiness compared to the previous year.
1% increase in water usage from operations compared to 2020 base year as a result of the following:
- The number of cars washed has increased compared to the previous year. However, the average water consumption per car decreased 5% compared to 2020 base year.
From the above-mentioned performance on climate change management and water management. the Company has put in place a process to determine material issues of the Company in accordance with the GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards through considering important issues for stakeholders as well as material issues related to economic, social and environmental impacts of the Company as follows:
- GRI 302: Energy
- 302-1 Energy consumption within the organization - Climate Change Initiatives
- 302-3 Energy intensity - Climate Change Initiatives
- GRI 305: Emissions
- 305-4 GHG emissions intensity - Environmental Management
- 305-5 Reduction of GHS emissions - Climate Change Initiatives